Saturday, August 12, 2006

Stats

I've been reading up on cancer the last couple weeks on the internet, there's so much out there! Gets to be a little overwhelming...all the new terminology I was ignorant of just a month ago! Adjuvant therapy, metastasize, lymph edema...and all the statistics about types of therapies and recurrence rates and risk factors...checking my pH levels with little strips every morning and a whole nutritional approach to achieving a pH level that's hostile to cancer...
So I've been praying about it and I understand that my doctors are very educated and that scientists use statistics to try to understand things better...but I'm young and I had none of the risk factors...so no one but the Lord knows which side of the statistics I will fall on, so I don't put my hope or find comfort in the statistics, although I do appreciate my doctors' effort to provide some information in this whirling craziness :) And I started changing my diet and faithfully checking my pH each morning, but I quickly realized that it could begin to take over, and since I don't know if I have months or years or decades left with my family, I'd rather spend that time living out of joy and not fear, I LOVE to cook and eat and if I began making separate meals for myself and for my family, I think something would get lost... Of course, there's a balance...some would say if I surrendered to a new nutritional approach I'd be more likely to have decades with my family...but I've decided to prayerfully consider all these things and try to find the middle ground, somewhere between the strictly medical and the strictly nutritional ways to combat my cancer, there's grace and maybe a combination of both...I could run right out and get a double mastectomy as a couple of loved ones have suggested, but I'm just not sure if that's the right approach for me personally...there's a lot of choices out there, I need wisdom to choose because my choices don't just affect me...I keep weighing it against the thought of will my children be able to look back, once I've passed on(whenever that might be) and honestly say they think I did all I could have or should have to fight this thing, am I doing what I'd advise them to do if they were in my place someday? In the end, its between my husband and I, ultimately, between the Lord and I, and I'll have to stand by these choices...

No comments: