Thursday, August 3, 2006

A Lumpectomy and Port Placement


The port is the "button" just under the skin below my collarbone where I'll receive the chemo treatments(rather than burning up the veins in my arm).  So many strange things to experience and learn about...

My mom was able to stay for another week, so we went to the beach yesterday, it was so beautiful, such a fun day!  I thought of some verses from Psalm 93(not off the top of my head, I had to go digging through my concordance a bit):

The seas have lifted up, O Lord, the seas have lifted up their voice; the seas have lifted up their pounding waves.
Mightier than the thunder of the great waters, mightier than the breakers of the sea--the Lord on high is mighty.

And when we went to Cracker Barrel that night, my husband got a call on his cell phone from a woman he had worked with overseas...turns out her family has a foundation to assist families in finding treatment for cancer, she asked if she could give her father our number since she'd just heard what had happened...she said if we were interested they would fly us to Seattle to consult with some doctors there...such overwhelming kindness and generosity from strangers!! I'm just crying so much lately, and not, as you might expect, out of grief or fear, but gratitude...such overwhelming gratitude I feel...I am so BLESSED!

So a friend arranged for a babysitter so my mom and husband could be there at the hospital for the surgery and when I was barely beginning to come to afterwards, I felt the nurse put a monitor around my belly to listen to Isaiah's heart rate and I heard it and started to cry, before I could even pry my eyes open yet...she said "He's doing fine...everything went well, just rest for a little bit..."  I was pretty nervous about having anesthesia while pregnant, I'm always so careful not to even take medication for a headache while I'm pregnant :)

There was not too much pain afterwards, they said I won't have full movement of my right arm where he sampled my lymph nodes, I'll have to work on that for awhile...and I have this lovely drain for a few days :) hide that away in my pocket...now we just have to wait for results...

No comments: